Bonnie Smith is a skilled trial lawyer who fights tirelessly for her clients. Her practice focuses on representing employees who have suffered discrimination, retaliation, wage theft, and harassment. She is experienced in the courtroom, having tried cases to verdict in state court, federal court, and arbitration. She has also represented clients on appeal, and prevailed at the Minnesota Court of Appeals. Before coming to Shannon Law, Bonnie worked at Nichols Kaster.
Selected Case Results:
- LaPoint v. Family Orthodontics, P.A., 892 N.W.2d 506 (Minn. 2017) (holding that a finding of animus is not required to prove pregnancy discrimination).
- Family & Medical Leave Act: Arrigo v. Link Stop, Inc., 975 F. Supp. 2d 976 (W.D. Wis. 2013) (granting employee’s motion for partial summary judgment and denying employer’s motion for summary judgment in Family and Medical Leave Act case).
- Pregnancy Discrimination: LaPoint v. Family Orthodontics, P.A., 872 F.2d 889 (Minn. Ct. App. 2015) (finding pregnancy discrimination as a matter of law); Hillins v. Marketing Architects, Inc., 808 F. Supp. 2d 1145 (D. Minn. 2011) (denying employer’s motion for summary judgment in pregnancy discrimination and parenting leave case).
- Race Discrimination: Stepan v. Bloomington Burrito Group, LLC, 2014 WL 7338786 (D. Minn. Dec. 22, 2014) (denying employer’s motion to dismiss in race discrimination and retaliation case).
- Defamation: Walker v. Wanner Engineering, Inc., 867 F. Supp. 2d 1050 (D. Minn. 2012) (denying employer’s motion for summary judgment on employee’s defamation claims).
- Whistleblower: Pecore v. Jennie-O Turkey Store, Inc., 990 F. Supp. 2d 984 (D. Minn. Jan. 7, 2014) (granting motion to dismiss employer’s counterclaims in sex discrimination and whistleblower case).
- Fair Labor Standards Act: Mork v. Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc., 844 F. Supp. 2d 950 (D. Minn. 2012) (rejecting employer’s argument that Fair Labor Standards Act arbitration should be limited to individual case rather than collective action).
Honors and Awards
- Selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars: 2014 – 2016
- Wisconsin State Bar Association Academic Achievement Award
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- Wisconsin Supreme Court
- California Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court – District of North Dakota
- J.D., University of Wisconsin, cum laude
- B.A., Yale University
Bar / Professional Activities
- ABA Midwinter Report, FMLA Subcommittee Contributor
- National Employment Lawyers Association Member
- American Bar Association Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association Member
- California State Bar Association Member
- Wisconsin State Bar Association Member
- Yale Alumni Schools Committee Interviewer
Scholarly Lectures and Writings
- “Litigation and the Federal Rules. What Every Paralegal Should Know.” Institute for Paralegal Education, Telewebinar, 2012.